Cavities are a common dental problem. Jonathan C. Wang, DDS Inc. in Pleasanton, California, treats cavities using the latest technologies and uses durable composite fillings to restore the affected teeth.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite is a mixture of plastic resin or acrylic resin and powdered glass filler. Composite fillings provide a more natural look and feel than other dental filling options and are also very reliable and long-lasting.
What Are the Benefits of Composite Fillings?
- Composite dental fillings are durable and give your teeth a more natural appearance.
- The procedure does not take long and can usually be completed in a single dental appointment.
- Composite fillings can be highly fracture-resistant if maintained properly, thereby keeping your teeth healthy and strong for longer.
- They can be used to restore both minor flaws and major damage to your teeth.
- When using composite dental fillings rather than amalgam fillings, Dr. Wang can often preserve more of the patient’s natural tooth structure.
- Composite fillings do not contain any mercury and are manufactured from a biocompatible material that does not cause any adverse effects.
Procedure for Composite Fillings
When you visit Jonathan C. Wang DDS Inc. in Pleasanton, California, to get cavity treatment for composite fillings, Dr. Wang will start the procedure by administering local anesthetic to numb the area and remove the decayed portion of the tooth.
If the decay is adjacent to the tooth nerve, Dr. Wang will place a special medication in the cavity for added protection. After cleaning and sealing the tooth, Dr. Wang will prepare the treated area for the filling.
If the decay extends into the nerve, a root canal is needed followed by the composite or a crown if the tooth is too compromised.
Once the appropriate shade of composite is selected, Dr. Wang will place, shape, and polish the filling to restore the tooth to its original shape and functionality.
Some patients may experience slight sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures after the procedure, but it should subside in a short time. Should this occur, please inform our office since Dr. Wang likes to keep a close track of how you are doing.
Dr. Wang will also provide after-care instructions once the treatment is completed. Following a good oral hygiene routine, eating a healthy diet, and regular dental visits can help the composite fillings last longer.
Please call Dr. Wang at Jonathan C Wang DDS, inc. in Pleasanton, CA at (925) 399-6835 or request an appointment online.